In what was supposed to be a technical breakdown at GDC 20, Sony unveiled the specs for the upcoming PlayStation 5. Mark Cerny, lead architect for the PlayStation 5 informs the fans on what to expect on the technical side of the new console. You can watch the full 52-minute video below.
If you really don’t want to sit through this video, here are the basic specs that are associated with the console.
- CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
- External Storage: USB HDD Support
- Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
I am looking forward to the actual console reveal. Sony has yet to announce when that actually will be happening. With any new console backward compatibility is always an issue. Sony is hard at work to make sure that most if not all PlayStation 4 games will be playable on the console.
Right now we just have to wait until the actual console is revealed. When that happens we will have it covered on ticgamesnetwork.com