Media streaming app Plex have been a staple in the media world for years. Since Microsoft killed off Windows Media Centre with Windows 8 and 10, Plex quickly became the go to service for people looking for a decent alternative.
Plex announced that the latest update will fix and add several features listed below. They’re also looking forward to adding even more functionality when the Windows 10 Dashboard lands which will allow Un-Snapped background music playback.
Changes to the app include:
- Music Support: Finally, your Xbox One will sing. I mean, not literally, like you in the shower this morning, but close enough. Play your music, even in snapped mode or in the background on the home screen.
- Playlists: Access all your music and video playlists. Shuffle your favorite artist, or just binge watch an entire season of Futurama while eating pizza. We won’t judge, but your Kinect might.
- SmartGlass support: Control and see what’s currently playing from your favorite SmartGlass-capable device.
- Cinema Trailers & Extras: Watch movies as God intended, assuming God likes $10 popcorn and sticky floors. Trailers before your movies! Extras, including music videos, are all there for your viewing pleasure.
- Direct Play for MKV: Most MKV video files no longer need to be converted for playback. Wowsers! Give your server a break, and enjoy super fast seeks using the Xbox video player’s native MKV support.
- Navigation Shortcuts: New key bindings to directly start playing something when browsing (X) or flip between TV episodes (L/R trigger).