Nintendo’s financial results for the third quarter of the fiscal year (ending on March 31st, 2019) have been released. Overall, they are seeing strong success in their hardware and their games sold, with 14.49 million Nintendo Switch units shipped from April 2018 through December 2018. This means that the Nintendo Switch has crossed 30 million units sold through to users.
Here’s some of the major highlights:
- The Nintendo Switch was the bestselling console for 2018 in the USA
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 3.3 million units over the holidays, now over 15 million sold
- Nintendo has lowered their forecast for units sold during fiscal year 2019 from 20 million units to 17 million units
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has sold over 12 million units since launch (it was the bestselling game on the December 2018 NPD charts)
- Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee have sold a combined 10 million units
- For this quarter, revenue hit almost $5.5 billion USD, their best since holiday 2009
The Nintendo Switch has been a remarkable success so far and software sales are strong. It’ll be interesting to see how they perform in the final quarter in fiscal year 2019.