After the stunning reveal of Forza Horizon 4, Phil Spencer took to the stage to discuss Microsoft’s future when it comes to first party game development. Spencer pointed out that the tech giant has increased its investment in internal game studios. Rumors have been circulating for some time about possible studio acquisitions and new startups. Today Spencer announced what Microsoft has been up to. The Xbox division has acquired not one but four game development studios and announced a newly created fifth studio.
The lest of studios includes:
– a brand new Santa Monica studio headed by former Tomb Raider director Darrell Gallagher. This studio is extremely well funded – their hiring efforts specify a minimum of ten years experience working on AAA game development.
– Developers of Microsoft’s popular State of Decay series.
– Developers of the Forza Horizon games, the most critically acclaimed exclusives in the Xbox One library.
– A UK based studio who has developed Kung Fu Chaos, Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword and most recently – Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.
– Developer of We Happy Few
Spencer also announced that each studio has the resources they need to create their visions. I can’t wait to see what all of these studios are working on.