Sony’s financial results for the third quarter of fiscal year 2019 have been released, with performance of the PlayStation brand remaining a strong highlight for the company. One major note from their report is that the PlayStation 4 shipped 8.1 million units in the third quarter for fiscal year 2019. Additionally, with 17.7 million units sold in 2018, the PlayStation 4 is the bestselling console of 2018 worldwide.
Here’s some major points from the report:
- Total sales of the PlayStation 4 crossed 17.7 million units in 2018
- PlayStation 4 has crossed 94.2 million shipped units in its lifetime
- Sony’s current projection is 17.5 million PlayStation 4 units shipped for fiscal year 2019
- Total network services revenue was roughly $12.5 billion USD
- There are now 36.3 million PS Plus subscribers
Sony (and more directly, PlayStation) had a strong 2018, with fantastic console sales and software sales. PSN revenue is also doing extremely well. In regards to their exclusive titles, Marvel’s Spider-Man and God of War were the sixth and eighth bestselling games of 2018 in the USA (per NPD). With these numbers, Sony is definitely doing well as 2019 is well underway. What will their 2019 look like? How will the final quarter of fiscal year 2019 turn out? These are interesting questions we’ll soon see answered.